Groundbreaking research validates how enterprises benefited from the global pandemic by forcing accelerated cloud transformation.
PORTLAND, Oregon — May 5, 2022 — Anitian, the leading provider of pre-engineered cloud security and compliance automation solutions, today announced the results of the Ponemon Institute’s 2022 report, “The Post-COVID Cloud Boom.” Commissioned by Anitian, the novel research study polled over 600 IT and IT security professionals in the United States to understand how COVID-19 changed the migration of applications to public cloud environments and the effect it has had on organizations’ cloud security practices and costs.
According to the research, the use of public cloud resources for securing critical applications outpaced on-premises deployment because of the need to maintain a higher level of agility, flexibility, and resilience during the pandemic. Further, the “boom” refers to the innovations made by cloud users and providers to respond to threats and vulnerabilities that have emerged during the pandemic.
“Our study confirms that organizations’ migration and expansion of cloud resources during the COVID pandemic significantly increased their ability to achieve its business goals,” said Larry Ponemon, chairman and founder of Ponemon Institute. “Enterprise’s objectives such as revenue growth, expansion into new markets, retention and hiring of in-house expertise, and innovation were all prominent findings in our research.”
Conducted by Ponemon Institute, a total of 643 IT and IT security respondents in the United States were surveyed in organizations that use all or mostly public clouds. Highlights of the research include the following findings:
- Despite the challenges of dealing with COVID-19, migration and transition to public clouds resulted in a boom. During this period, many organizations realized greater agility and innovation in responding to threats and vulnerabilities that emerged during the pandemic.
- The use of most or all public cloud providers increased significantly in the post-COVID-19 era resulting in many organizations benefiting from the boom. According to 61 percent of respondents, the boom significantly increased or increased the ability of organizations to achieve their business growth despite risks due to a remote workforce.
- The primary benefits of the boom were to support business goals. According to the research, 62 percent of respondents said the migration or transition to the public cloud was to reduce cost, 53 percent of respondents said it was to increase efficiency, and 41 percent of respondents said it was to support business growth.
- Organizations’ cloud security improved in the Post-COVID Cloud Boom. Pre-COVID-19 before transition or migration to the public cloud, 35 percent of respondents said their organizations had a very effective cloud security posture. Post-COVID-19, nearly half (49 percent) of respondents said their organizations’ security posture is very effective. Further, business risk did not significantly increase during migration or transition to the public cloud.
- Lower data breach costs. Organizations that migrated and transitioned all or most of their cybersecurity practices to the public cloud had significantly lower data breach costs ($13.3 million vs. $18 million) for a net benefit of $4.7 million.
“Anitian’s unrivaled technology is already disrupting the exploding cloud security and compliance market that’s clamoring for innovation empowering the ever-increasing number of enterprises making digital transformation a top priority for their businesses,” said Anitian CEO, Rakesh Narasimhan. “In a post-COVID environment, organizations must continue to improve their security posture as threats continue to become more advanced over time.”
The full Post-COVID Cloud Boom report is now available
To access a full copy of The Post-COVID Cloud Boom research, please visit www.Anitian.com/Ponemon.
Dr. Larry Ponemon will join Anitian for an upcoming episode of the Security on Cloud podcast to discuss the results of The Post-COVID Cloud Boom report and results.
For media inquiries related to The Post-COVID Cloud Boom, or to schedule briefings with Anitian and Dr. Larry Ponemon, please contact Scott Emo at Scott.Emo@Anitian.com.
About Ponemon Institute
The Ponemon Institute© is dedicated to advancing responsible information and privacy management practices in business and government. To achieve this objective, the Institute conducts independent research, educates leaders from the private and public sectors and verifies the privacy and data protection practices of organizations in a variety of industries.
Anitian doesn’t make your cloud applications. We make your cloud applications secure and compliant so you can enter new markets and unlock revenue in weeks, not months or years. Our SecureCloud platforms for Compliance Automation and Enterprise Cloud Security unify DevOps and security to deliver the fastest path to security and compliance in the cloud. Anitian’s pre-engineered and automated cloud application infrastructure platforms deploy in a single day to empower enterprises to go from application to cloud to production 80% faster and at 50% of the cost. The standardized cloud platforms are pre-built from the ground up for Zero Trust and deliver a full suite of security controls — pre-configured to rigorous security standards such as FedRAMP, NIST 800-53, PCI, CMMC, SOC 2, and more. Anitian uses the full power and scale of the cloud to automate the complex burden of cloud infrastructure security and compliance to help you start secure, start compliant, and stay ahead. Find out more at www.Anitian.com or follow them on LinkedIn or Twitter.